Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Lots of Lovely Practice"

It's just "Lots of lovely practice"....that's what some Shetland ladies at my mum's care home have been telling me as I bemoan how slow going my progress is with the fair-isle! So I'm going to adopt that attitude too and be more patient! I am actually pretty happy with my results so far but there has been a lot of ripping back!
It's a lot harder than I realized to get the sequence of colours right with fair-isle. The effects of pairing different colours makes a huge difference and I can't quite tell until I actually start knitting.....hence all the ripping back. As you can see I've gone for very Shetland colours....moss, peat, moorland, bracken.....haven't decided if these will be fingerless mitts or full mittens....will determine that at knitting class tonight!
I was even given a wee spinning lesson from one of the day visitors whilst spending time with my mum yesterday (for those who don't know my mum has alzheimer's and is now in full-time care in a fantastic home nearby). I didn't get much further than getting the rhythm of the wheel down.......it's hard! However I plan on taking my knitting next time as there are a number of experts there who will help with all my lovely practice I'm sure! Early morning sun before taking the kids to school.....won't see this much longer as we'll be getting up in the dark before too long!

The cat likes to sit on my Dad's desk and survey the weather, check on the rabbits, generally see if the conditions are right for going outside!
View from dad's desk! Took this the other day after a snow shower.

Working on a new hat design.....need to keep my ears warm up here!

18 comments:

Kirsten said...

"Lots of lovely practice"! That's brilliant! That will be my mantra next time a project becomes tedious/difficult!!

Your fairisle looks lovely. It must be amazing to knit with colors that match the landscape so perfectly! The view from your father's desk is breathtaking!

Knit Witch said...

I LOVE those colors!!!! I can't wait to see the finished project! Those pictures are just gorgeous.

Hilary said...

What a nice way of looking at things. I think I need to adopt that attitude too!

The mitt/mitten looks beautiful -- all the lovely practice seems to be paying off!

Poethead said...

I'm so sorry about your mum. It must be very hard for you. What a horrible and cruel disease. My thoughts are with you on this.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post these pictures. This is where my ancestors are from, only a couple of generations removed. I've always wanted to visit, and I don't know if I'll ever get to do it. I love reading your blog.

The mittens are going to be awesome. It would be so much fun to be part of a knitting group in another country! I can't wait to see what hat you'll have to show us!

Amanda said...

Ah, those colours are inspirational! Your fairisle looks pretty good to me. I'm a beginner spinner and boy am I finding it hard to get an even rhythm going.

ADW said...

love the cat picture! i wonder if it knows how lucky it is to have such a view

kat coyle said...

thank you for this wonderful post. i really enjoy seeing your photos and reading about what you're doing.

Beth Armstrong said...

I'm so impressed Gudrun, it sure does look very tricky from where I'm sitting but keep up the good work and all the lovely practice as it looks like it will pay off!

Gudrun Johnston said...

Thanks for all those encouraging words everyone!

Anonymous said...

this colors are so beautiful !
can't wait to see the mittens fisnished :o)

Kathleen said...

The landscape is gorgeous...so is the knitting!

Helen said...

I think I must have been a Shetlander in a former life :-) I'll get up there one day I'm sure. the view out the window is even better than mine! The Fair Isle? Gorgeous. I need to start the lovely practice...*gulp* my last challenge for this year is Fair Isle...

Just call me Ruby said...

The fairisle looks beautiful. I'm so enjoying seeing the photos from the Shetlands, awe inspiring.

Jodi said...

That's an absolutely amazing view. I think I'd feel inspired to sit and work at my desk all day!

Best of luck with your fair isle project. Alzheimer's and other dementia issues are heartbreaking. My mom suffers from dementia now, and it's just awful.

Jodi said...

I shouldn't leave a comment ending on such a negative note. My mom has her good times still, and you can still see her peeking through. Those times are a joy.

Anonymous said...

i'm just blown away by your photos and blog posts.

that place, where you are, is so captivating.

and your knitting is beautiful.

i really envy you. being there. in that place. learning this really beautiful art form firsthand from people who've been doing it all their lives. it all seems so magical.

mary jane said...

Snow showers! I think the earliest I can remember snow here in mid-coast Maine was Halloween...(and my daughter wanted to be barefoot as part of her costume).

Alzheimers is a difficult state of being for everyone concerned. I was once a caretaker for an Alzheimers patient and understand some of the challenges. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I love to see your lovely fair isle practice, so interesting how the colors work isn't it! Endless fun I think. Tell me...do these ladies weave in the ends or knot them? And are there charming names for some of the patterns?

Good luck with the spinning and thanks for such beautiful photographs.

Anonymous said...

I'll look forward to hearing about your spinning - I've just bought a spinning wheel and pick it up on Monday....can't wait!