Monday, January 28, 2008

Bousta Beret

A beret pattern worked in a soft DK weight merino/angora blend using a traditional Shetland Lace pattern- Horseshoe lace."Bousta" means farm in old Norse. This pattern is available to purchase as a PDF download and includes charts for the lace and a photo tutorial of the Twisted German Cast On used in the pattern.
I rate this as an advanced beginner pattern.

Finished Size
Circumference of beret band is 14.5 inches relaxed but will stretch to fit average woman’s head (up to 23 inches)
Diameter across top of beret when flat 10.5 inches


Materials
* 2 Balls Sublime angora merino (80% extra fine merino/ 20% angora; 130yrds/120m; 50g; DK weight) shown in shade 0047 and 0044 (or approx 180-190 yrds of yarn in a similar weight and gauge range)
* US#4/3.5mm 16-inch Circular
* US#6/4mm 16-inch Circular
* Set of US#6/4mm DPN’S
* Stitch Marker
* Extra Stitch Markers (optional-for marking repeats of lace pattern)
* Knitting elastic (optional-for sewing into hat band to help keep ribbing elastic)

Gauge
23sts and 32 rows= 4 inches in Stockinette stitch on US#6/4mm
Adjust needle size to obtain correct gauge


Huge thanks to the two following ladies:
Model-Cirilia Rose (the two blue beret pics below are of me)
Test Knitter- Christy of neitherhipnorfunky

Dedicated to my parents in Shetland who live in a renovated croft called "Muckle Bousta" (muckle=big) across a wee bay from "Little Bousta" the croft they revived 30 years ago!

Price:$4.00

8 comments:

Lise aka Pindsvinet said...

That beret is so pretty, and I think that it's just what I need :) I Have to make one. Thank you for your wonderful designs.

mel said...

What a lovely beret - And gorgeous shots :) Congrats Gudrun, it's so exciting to see you designing for sale!

Happily Knit said...

Thank you for the comment! I can't wait to start on Patti but I promised myself I'd tackle some of my WIP's first. ufff.

and GOODNESS, I didn't realize you had designed that beret too! It's gorgeous. I have recently become extremely interested in berets & tams because I've found they're great for curly hair (no hat head!) This will definitely be in queue for me!

Romi said...

Ooooh! Very pretty!

Just call me Ruby said...

beautiful design, beautiful photos - really, really professional.

Anonymous said...

Your beret is wonderful. I can't wait to get started. I love all of your designs. Thanks so much!

Lillysmuul said...

Lovely beret!

Kirsten said...

It is really, really beautiful Gudrun! I'm adding it to my "must knit" list.