Sunday, November 15, 2009

Tanit's Jacket

The new Twist Collective is out and yes I do indeed have a new design in there!

Tanit's Jacket is a top down raglan jacket in a stitch called Tunisian Rib. This pattern produces a nice dense texture which proves rather cozy for a Fall/Winter layer. I added some cording stitch at the collar, cuffs and hem to create some contrasting horizontal lines and to help define these areas a little.

Below are some photos of the prototype which was worked up in Classic Elite Yarn's Soft Linen. As you can see I made some changes to the pattern that ended up in Twist. The first thing was the collar. I originally envisioned a fairly big folded down collar but it didn't quite come together. So on the prototype I ended up folding it to the inside and tacking it down. In the final pattern this translated into a more rounded collar worked using short rows
I then mirrored this in the hem, removing the hard corners with the use of those magical short rows again!




I noticed in Twist that Clara Parkes has a swatch story for Tanit's Jacket and she describes some of the possible ways to go with yarn choices. I like both the Valley Yarns Northfield and CE's Soft Linen, but other yarns with some linen or silk component would work well too.

For those that care Tanit was a Phoenician lunar Goddess of Carthage. I wanted to get a Tunisian connection in there!

13 comments:

tikru said...

It is so beautiful and simple. Love.

Lise said...

Congratulations! It's lovely.

even eve said...

sweet, the gray seems to suite it more. I love the contrast of the buttons rust color.

Rachel said...

Another beautiful pattern, I love it!

Beth Armstrong said...

I love it too - well done G! Can't wait to see you in four days time! xxxx

Linda said...

Its fabulous!

Unknown said...

Oh it's beautiful, a really interesting looking knit.

tea and cake said...

this looks lovely and comfortable, and cosy, too!

Vaida said...

Mmm, it's great! So elegant! I should definetely consider to include it into my to-do list

Angela said...

Love this jacket! The little details are so well thought out-- I already thought so just from seeing the photos on Twist, but after reading your post and seeing the prototype, it's even more obvious.

mary jane said...

congratulations! just beautiful...

g-girl said...

oh it's simply lovely. can't wait to cast on for it!

Hilary said...

Gorgeous as usual! I'm intrigued by the Tunisian Rib...seems like it creates a very cool texture.