Monday, May 18, 2009

Hip To Be Square

Yikes it's been two weeks since I posted....! I've had to do some marathon secret knitting which won't be public for a few more months....(so hard not to share)....despite the stress of the short amount of time to get it completed (there was a big delay on my yarn getting to me) I was very happy with how it turned out.

However during the past few days I did manage to squeeze out a few squares for Larrisa Brown's Barn Raising Quilt charity benefit to raise money for Doctors Without Borders. Info can be found here. There is still plenty of time for you to participate.....you know you've got some left over sock yarn in that stash of yours....and these don't take long to make.

Despite working hard on writing up the pattern of said secret knitting I've found myself casting on for a new Shetlandtrader design in the Malabrigo Sock yarn I recently acquired......as you can see lots of gartery goodness so far......it will be a shawl made using one of the traditional Shetland construction methods.

Here's a sneaky wee peek of the secret knitting....hard to work in wool when we're having such ridiculous temps already....the kids and I spent the entire weekend in the pool!
And my last bit of randomness.....camera question.....I'm think of upgrading to the above...anyone have anything to share on it's pros and cons?

15 comments:

Eliza said...

I have the Canon Xsi and LOVE it. Got it last Christmas time after reading lots of reviews online. I'm not sure not why I chose the Si over the Ti... but I have no regrets.

Suvi said...

My husband has xti and I have xsi (which I just got a couple of days ago as an advance birthday present) and we are very pleased with both of them. Xti has good image quality, it's rather fast and relatively small too (easy to carry around). Only thing I don't like about it, is that colors are too saturated. Xsi has better colors imo, not too saturated. There are good reviews on dpreview.com site.
I'm a canon girl, so I think it's a good choice :)

Nina said...

I'm part of a group of friends knitting an afghan for a friend's wedding present. We are now getting bored with the squares that we have been knitting and i was wondering what construction you used for your squares.

Journeying Five said...

your squares are lovely, i think the colors you chose are beautiful..i'm a nikon girl, but best of luck with a canon!

Gudrun Johnston said...

Hi Nina,
this was an inside out method. If you click on the link I left in the post you can get more info from Larissa's blog.

Poethead said...

The squares are everywhere right now, and I love the blanket, and it's a great charity.

Just call me Ruby said...

Hi Gudrun,

I've got the xti (or in the UK the 400) and I've been very pleased with it. It did all the photos for A Stitch in Time, so I think for the money its a great buy. I love Canons anyway and I'm looking now at the 500 (don't know the equivalent US name) but that's purely because its 15 mega pixels which is better for print media. I also found the colours to be very true and on manual settings its great in low light etc.

love Ruby xx

Connie said...

Ooooh, I wonder if your secret knitting went to the same destination as my secret knitting? ;)

Can't wait to see the design at any rate and your new Shetland Trader design. I always admire how good you are with that!

Hilary said...

Oooh...gartery Malabrigo goodness! I can't wait to see more of that one. And you are a stronger woman than I for knitting with wool this weekend. The two days a year it's hot in San Francisco, simply *thinking* about knitting (let alone with wool) makes me sweaty. I can't imagine doing it in the crazy Valley heat!

veera said...

Hmmm, what might that secret knitting be? I can't wait.

mary jane said...

I've got the older just plain XT which I love. Love your squares, sorely tempted to abandon all work and make a few...NO!...can't!

emilyoboe said...

I'm excited to see how the malabrigo sock turns out! traditional knitting styles and patterns always intrigue me, and I think it's cool that you incorporate your decidedly awesome knitting heritage into your own designs.

raining sheep said...

Well, not you have me curious about the 'secret knitting'. I use the Canon Xsi and love it. I think the Xsi is just a newer version of the Xti....not sure what the differences are. I am thinking of learning how to crochet because I have a desire or a granny square something!

no-shrinking-violet said...

Gundrun,

I have the Xsi and the digital version. I would go look but I am covered in 5 year old napping twins and am currently unable to get up. I love both my cameras and use them all of the time. They have been all over the world with me and I have never had a problem with either. My cameras are clear and beautiful. Hope you find the camera you love.

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

I'm sure you'll love the Xti - like almost everyone who posted here, I use the Xsi and love it. If A Stitch in Time was photographed using the Xti, you can't go wrong - great photography!